The man accused of carrying out a Hanukkah terror attack in Sydney, Australia, was seen in public for the first time on Monday, appearing via video link from Goulburn Supermax prison during a hearing at Downing Center Local Court.
7NewsAustralia reported that Naveed Akram, 24, spoke only briefly during the hearing lasting less than 10 minutes, when a prohibition order protecting the names of some victims was extended.
“Did you hear what just happened?” asked Deputy Chief Magistrate Sharon Freund. “Yes,” Akram replied.
“Your lawyer will call you, okay?” Freund said.
FAMILIES mourn loved ones lost in BONDI beach terror attack: ‘NO WORDS CAN DESCRIBE THE PAIN’
A court sketch shows accused Bondi gunman Naveed Akram appearing via video link from Goulburn Supermax Prison at the Downing Center Local Court in Sydney, Monday, February 16, 2026. (Rocco Fazzari/AAP image via AP)
“Yes,” the shooting suspect responded.
According to the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions website, Akram has been charged with one count of terroristic act, 15 counts of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder and other firearms and explosives offences.
The most serious charges carry a possible life sentence.
ISRAELI DIASPORA MINISTER SAYS AUSTRALIA SHOULD HAVE SEEN ‘WRITINGS ON THE WALL’ BEFORE TERROR ATTACK

Rabbi Eli Schlanger, 10-year-old Matilda and French national Dan Elkayam were victims of the attack on Bondi Beach. (Audrey Richardson/Getty Images/Facebook/Eli Schlanger/GoFundMe/Project Volta)
Akram’s lawyer Ben Archbold told reporters it was too early to indicate how his client would plead, according to 7NewsAustralia.
“There is a client that needs to be represented. And we don’t let our personal opinions get in the way of our professional application,” Archbold said.
His next court appearance is scheduled for April 8.

Police teams take security measures at Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia, following a terrorist attack targeting the Jewish community on the first night of Hanukkah. (Claudio Galdames A/Anadolu via Getty Images)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
The 24-year-old is accused of carrying out Australia’s deadliest terror attack, targeting a Jewish celebration of Hanukkah by the Sea at Bondi Beach in December.
His father, Sajid Akram, 50, was shot dead on the spot during a shootout with police.
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese described the Bondi attack as an “ISIS-inspired atrocity” and said at a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra late last year that the government had been made aware by the Office of National Intelligence of an online video feed from ISIS that reinforced this assessment.


